"Nothing can sabotage winning, except for fear of losing. Success usually lies just beyond failure." Mario Cortes
What makes some people fight and some people fold? When the going gets tough, where do you go? Can you truly reach for those inner reserves that ensure you produce your best performances come what may?
It’s not simply about motivation – it’s about perseverance – which can come under severe attack when the pressure is on. Resilience is commonly thought of as a sign of mental toughness. It’s not important here to get way-laid by definitions – we are speaking about an individual or team’s ability to continue to function optimally in spite of adverse conditions or stress.
Here are just a few ideas that could help you improve your resilience:
• Determine the positive meaning/s and outcomes of the difficulty you’re facing;
• Ensure you hold an identity as a survivor/winner rather than a victim/loser;
▪ Develop positive ways to handle stress effectively;
▪ Find a way to develop the belief that you can cope with or overcome the challenge;
▪ Find improved ways to manage your feelings;
▪ Get the necessary social support - connecting with family and friends;
▪ Seek help from people experienced with the challenge/s you’re facing;
▪ Disclose the nature of the challenge/s you face to those close to you;
▪ Ensure you have good problem-solving skills;
▪ Develop a Growth Mindset (see Optimising Talent).
Of course, if you would like a more customised approach on how you could develop increased motivation and/or resilience for you and/or your team, please contact
VisionSports works with people who wish to perform at the top of their profession - in both the business and sports worlds. We are proud of the effectiveness (and speed) of our work and our clients seem to think that we're good for them, which is why the vast majority of our work is the result of client recommendations. Our work remains confidential, so we never publicise what we do – although that doesn't stop some people writing about us! Please click here to read our testimonials.
4 Fox Covert, Riverview Park, Colwick, Nottingham NG4 2DD